Thoughts after a week with the 2024 MX-5 RF (ND3)

I recently had the privilege to drive a 2024 MX-5 RF (“ND3”) for a week, thanks to Mazda Canada and my local Miata group: Miataphiles of London. It was an interesting opportunity to compare with my (slightly modified) 2016 MX-5 (“ND1”).

Cloudflare Proxy with Unifi Firewall

In addition to moving this blog to cloudflare, I decided to take advantage of enabling Cloudflare’s proxy at the DNS level for my other (non-blog) services. Basically, this makes Cloudflare act as a reverse proxy.

However, handling Firewall & Port Forwarding rules was a bit more complicated.

Home Assistant Notifications (with Sync in Dashboard and Mobile)

I’ve been struggling with Home Assistant notifications. From some searching, it seems other people are also struggling.

A lot of videos online cover basic “How to send a notification to your phone”, but I wanted a whole lot more life-cycle than that. I want to clear them. And I don’t want to have to write a thousand action conditions, either.

I sat down and spent far more time than I’d like to admit to tackling the problem. This might not fit every use-case for every person, but this was exactly the functionality I needed.

Home Assistant and Lock Notifications

I’ve recently been porting things from Samsung Smartthings to Home Assistant. Smartthings has a significantly lower learning curve, but suffered from a reliance on the cloud. While you have a local hub, any “custom” device handlers actually ran on the cloud on Samsung servers somewhere. Which means advanced functionality was often very, very slow.

PS/2 Trackpoint Scrolling in Wayland

A coworker graciously gave me an IBM RT3200! It’s a tenkeyless IBM keyboard with integrated trackpoint. However, I did have some issues getting scrolling working properly with a modern USB-based system running Wayland.

Isolate Work in Firefox

Like a large number of people around the world right now, my place of work has closed the doors for safety concerns. I’m fortunate enough to be in a position to work from home via VPN, but I did want to keep some separation between my work and non-work environments. The full-separation route would be creating a new user profile on my local machine. This would ensure complete separation. I didn’t go this route because I don’t need to keep everything separate.

Sharing Host Files With KVM

During my most recent server-build, I had to tackle exposing host-managed files to VMs. Previously, I used NFS. However, that was becoming increasingly troublesome, unfortunately due to IPv6. While I have an IPv6 connection and IPv6 network, my router will stop advertising the IPv6 network if the Internet goes down, causing connectivity issues. Additionally, the uncertainty of whether any connection will come as fe80:: vs my regular routable address was a pain (especially when my IPv6 network changed).